Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

lists--long and longer

My "to be read" list grows at a frightening speed. Here are some of the latest additions:

Some from the Booker Prize long list:

Mark Haddon's new A Spot of Bother: A Novel. Bluestalking Reader's review intensified my interest in this one.

The Secret River by Kate Grenville also piques my interest and Bluestalking's review makes it a must read.

The Emperor's Children by Claire Messud got a great review from dovegreyreader scribbles.

Some of the books on the Booker long list are difficult to get hold of right now, but I'm in no particular hurry. My "tbr" list is long, and I also pull from the shelves at the library while browsing.

On the Cultural Revolution in China (I'm interested in all things Chinoise), I've added these recommendations from booklogged: Red Scarf Girl by Ji-li Jiang and Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang. Both of these look fascinating- thanks, booklogged.

A Work in Progress expressed an interest in reading or re-reading some classics. For some reason when I re-read Cather a few years ago, I didn't enjoy them as much as I did originally. I've re-read Pride and Prejudice, Frankenstein, and Turn of the Screw several times while teaching so they get a pass for awhile. Robinson Crusoe, however, I do want to re-read...I'm not telling how many years ago my last reading was. And Alcott, not just Little Women, but Jo's Boys, and several others have been added to the re-read list.

9 comments:

  1. If you enjoy foreign films, I highly recommend Raise the Red Lantern, which is based in China. I first saw this film in high school and it just blew me away. I do recommened that you get a hold of the VHS version as the DVD version has been altered somewhat.

    My TBR list is out of control, as well. I just received Pages magazine and it is filled with new Fall releases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOps, I just replied to the email before realizing you are "noreply" so it will be returned to me via Mailer Daemon.

    Here's the gist of it:

    Out of control seems to be norm with TBR lists! I don't think I could bare to look at the fall releases right now... I simply can't keep up! It is fun to watch blog reviews on and compare with publisher's reviews, though.

    Raise the Red Lantern sounds like something I'd really enjoy, so I'll look for it. Thanks, Amelia!

    By the way, my daughter's name is Amelia, and I've always thought it one of the most beautiful names around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenclair, I came to your blog about an hour ago. Since then I've been off chasing all the fun links you included. Talk about out of control - my list is looking like the Tower of Babel. Wonder if it will be as ineffectual in getting me to heaven! I do like having a list, though, because it reduces the chances of reading a dreary book. I add several from the morsels you set out for us.

    I, too, will be looking for Raise the Red Lantern.

    I just put it together. When you said you were off to Florida because Amelia was getting married you were going to you DAUGHTER's wedding. How wonderful, and in Key West. I'll bet it was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Booklogged, I love my lists, but they don't always make it to the library with me, and I use the library before anything else. Mostly buy non-fiction and check out fiction. But even if I forget my list, if one of the books shows up on the New Book Shelf, I recognize it and bag it with delight.

    Wedding was great, thanks, and I, uh, posted a few :) pictures on my other blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I found five books to add to my TBR list, and that's just because I can't add everything. Great suggestions here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many good books - so little time! I've found that the more books I buy, the less time I seem to find to read - even though it's one of my favourite things to do. Must manage my time more, to plow through these wonderful tomes. Enjoy your reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Framed, I add without any hope of getting to them all!

    Paris, sometimes finding the time is difficult. Having the list is satisfying in itself, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How neat that your daughter's name is Amelia, too!! I personally love my name. I am very vain about it and thank my mother every day for choosing it for me ;) BTW - I checked out the pictures and she is quite beautiful! The pictures were really nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amelia, your mother has impeccable taste! Ahem...

    ReplyDelete