Search This Blog

Monday, September 11, 2006

Mark Haddon and Eudora Welty

First: I guess no wanted a copy of House on the Borderland; the only response was Carl, who offered to mail his copy as well! Maybe my review was discouraging... However, the offer still stands, if anyone is interested.

I really loved The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time and was pleased to see that he had a new novel out, A Spot of Bother. The reviews have been quite good, and then on my favorite NPR, an interview with Haddon! He also writes poetry.

In my long list of books I want to read is Eudora Welty's One Writer's Beginnings. Tedious as much of the biography was, I found some sections so interesting that I want more. Welty's lectures were the most vivid parts of the book for me, and I find myself thinking about them even now. The lectures were part of a series and are a form of personal and literary memoir.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, yes, I have been longing to get my hands on his recently published book of poems, "The Talking Horse and the Sad Girl and the Village Under the Sea". Delicious title, don't you think? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised to find out all that this young man has done. The interview on NPR increased my opinion of him even more. I'm a sucker for titles :)

    ReplyDelete