Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

"in such lovely language"

This poem by D. H. Lawrence is for Danielle, who is undertaking a study of Shakespeare.

When I Read Shakespeare

When I read Shakespeare I am struck with wonder
that such trivial people should muse and thunder
in such lovely language.

Lear, the old buffer, you wonder his daughters
didn't treat him rougher,

the old chough, the old chuffer!

And Hamlet, how boring, how boring to live with,
so mean and self-conscious, blowing and snoring
his wonderful speeches, full of other folks' whoring!

And Macbeth and his Lady, who should have been choring,
such suburban ambition, so messily goring
old Duncan with daggers!

How boring, how small Shakespeare's people are!
Yet the language so lovely! like the dyes from gas-tar.

D. H. Lawrence


6 comments:

  1. Oooh, that's a great poem, Jen! I've been reading Danielle's blog, she is very thorough in her approach to Shakespeare! =-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the poem, and the link to Danielle's blog. The poem really made me laugh--great post for National Poetry Month :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great poem and so true. Shakespeare's language is so amazing! Even if I don't understand everything--and I don't--it sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debby - :) It is a great poem isn't it?

    Gentle Reader - When I read Danielle's plan for approaching Shakespeare, I knew that it would be a great poem for National Poetry Month.

    Danielle - Your post on Shakespeare sent me searching for this one; it was just so appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great poem! I never realized Lawrence had a sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stefanie - :) It does seem light-hearted for Lawrence! No brooding here...

    ReplyDelete