Search This Blog

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Standing Still

Simmons, Kelly. Standing Still. Claire Cooper suffers from an anxiety disorder and frequent panic attacks. Her irrational fears cripple her emotional life. Then one night, her fears become real, and she discovers an intruder who is about to take one of her daughters. Faced with this unbearable possibility, Claire says, "Take me instead."

The kidnapper does take Claire, and the two of them spend the next week together as the ransom gets worked out. In that time, Claire finally accepts the fact that the kidnapping is not associated with something from her past and faces another unpleasant possibility concerning her husband.

Another first person narrative, although in this case, probably a necessity. I found Claire pretty annoying and didn't like the choppy effect caused by flashbacks. I usually like flashbacks, but these seemed a bit abrupt. Still, I wanted to know what happened, who "David" was, and the reason for the kidnapping.

Another ARC, this one came from ATRIA Books.

Fiction. Suspense. 2008. 262 pages.

2 comments:

  1. I have a couple of Pratchett books on the shelves and have listened to one. And I loved "Good Omens" which he co-wrote with Neil Gaiman. He puts so much humor into his books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. framed - I really enjoyed Maurice and all of the rats. Pratchett's humor is right up my alley, and I found myself grinning through most of the book!

    ReplyDelete