Search This Blog

Saturday, September 27, 2008

At All Costs

Weber, David. At All Costs. An Honor Harrington novel, but not my favorite. In fact, my least favorite in this series of 11 books.

I don't mind the fact that Weber's books are long, but if he had discarded the entire section on the love triangle and the babies, I would have been much happier. Hamish, Earl of White Haven and wife Emily are two of the least developed characters in a cast of thousands (give or take a few and throughout the entire series). Honor's relationship with Hamish has seemed pretty thin from the beginning, but recent developments are not of interest to me.

I went back to see my review of War of Honor , the book previous to this one, and found that I didn't comment on the Honor/Hamish/Emily situation, but remember that I wasn't much impressed with it. I liked the Shadow of Saganami which is connected to the series, but doesn't feature Honor Harrington, I enjoyed In Fury Born (not connected to the H.H. novels),and I like his new series Off Armageddon Reef and By Schism Rent Asunder, but my fondness for the Honorverse is fading, as the last two novels in this series have been a bit disappointing.

I have no intention of abandoning Weber, but maybe this particular series has played itself out. Will I read the next one? Of course.

Fiction. Science Fiction/Space Opera.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like exactly what my son would say: "Wasn't the greatest of his books, but I'll keep reading them." Have you read anything by Timothy Zahn? He's another of my son's favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eleven book series? Wow, that's a bit too long for me. I have too many other series on the go! I second Timothy Zahn, though. He wrote the best novels based on Star Wars... I haven't read anything else though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. bookfool - No, I haven't read anything by Zahn, but I'm adding him to my list!

    Kailana - Webber is prolific. Almost unbelievably so when his books are all so long. I'm going to have to try Zahn. Two recommendations already!

    ReplyDelete