Search This Blog

Friday, January 30, 2009

Two More Down

Finished Frozen in Time and The Mighty Queens of Freeville. Both were good, but I loved The Mighty Queens. Hope to have both reviews completed today.



I'm still reading several yoga books. Initially, I was going to read them one at a time, but I found myself putting one down and picking up another for comparison. It is interesting to see the different way the books present information.

Recent acquisitions (ARC's and library books) that have joined the stacks:

Becoming Enlightened - the Dalai Lama - An ARC from Atria Books, I look forward to this one because it gives information about Buddhism, meditation, and anecdotes from the Dalai Lama's life and experiences. It will fit in well with my yoga study.


Talking to the Dead: Kate and Maggie Fox and the Rise of Spiritualism - Barbara Weisberg - A digression from my reading itinerary on the Franklin Expedition. Both this one and Frozen in Time are on interlibrary loan and arrived the other day.



Gauntlet - Richard Aaron - An ARC from Glen House Press, it is described as a techno-thriller and a novel of international intrigue. Looks suspenseful.



The Creative Habit - Twyla Tharp (in progress) - Choreographer Twyla Tharp has lots of interesting accounts of creative people in different professions, examples from her own life, and a practical philosophy of hard work and the importance of habit. I love that she quotes from her own wide reading of some of the literary greats.

11 comments:

  1. ooh some very cool books. I'd love to hear more on Becoming Enlightened and The Creative Habit so hurry up with those will you?! :)

    Enjoy the loot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Iliana -- these two books do sound good. It looks like you're on quite a roll with your reading for the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw Talking to the Dead in the bookstore a while back but thought I wouldn't be interested. Now that I've read Affinity, however, I'm thinking it might actually be interesting. Will have to look out for it--please do post your thoughts on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Iliana - It is difficult when you can't decide which book to read next because you are eager to read them all!

    Lisa - This really has been a great reading month; hope the rest of the year will go as well. :)

    Danielle - I was interested for two reasons, the spiritualism and the connection to Elisha Kent Kane. I'm going to look for Affinity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gauntlet looks really interesting. Anything that's got a submarine on the cover gets my attention real fast. :)

    If you're up for another good techno thriller, check out Deadly Exchange by Geoffrey Gluckman. I just started it on the weekend and it's really grabbed my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maggie - Gauntlet is reading very, very fast! Thanks for the link to Deadly Exchange!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're welcome for the link. Thanks for letting me know about Gauntlet. I've got it added to my watch list now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just got "Talking to the Dead" yesterday and just started it!
    I saw it in one of your lists a couple of weeks back and I had to have it!
    It's such a foreign subject to me I was instantly excited to learn more about these sisters and spiritualism.
    Keep those inspirational lists coming!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maggie - Just finished Gauntlet! Eager to hear what you think when you read it.

    bookworm - Finished Talking to the Dead and found it fascinating! Send me a link when you finish reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. (I'm a few days behind here)

    I'd be interested in hearing more about the Dalai Lama and the Creative one. They both really look like they fit in your plan.

    I find it interesting that you read books about yoga. I find sports/ fitness books fascinating. For whatever reason, I can't imagine reading one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lisa- I'm still reading The Creative Habit by Twyla Tharp, and it is excellent!

    Haven't begun the Dalai Lama book yet, but should be getting to it soon.

    ReplyDelete