Search This Blog

Monday, May 24, 2010

A Plague of Secrets

Lescroart, John.  A Plague of Secrets.

I'm definitely a fan of Lescroart's Dismas Hardy series.  I love Dismas, a defense lawyer, and his friends, especially Abe Glitsky and Wes Farrell.

This was not my favorite, but that doesn't mean it isn't good -- Lescroart is always good.  His novels are interesting, informative, suspenseful legal thrillers.

His recurring characters are always well-developed, but Abe and Wes and several others played small roles in this novel.  For me, they are such a huge part of the world Lescroart creates that it is disappointing not to have them play larger parts in A Plague of Secrets.  I do like the way that characters from past novels often show up again, which adds to the reality of the world of Dismas Hardy

Another quibble (remember, I'm quibbling, 'cause I love this series; this is #20, and I have high hopes for many more)-- is that this novel seems less dense

I have not read a Lescroart novel that I didn't like, but he sets a pretty high standard for himself.  :)

Fiction.  Legal Thriller.  2010.  512 pages.

2 comments:

  1. You and I are in the same boat. I've been trying to bang out as many reviews as I can, every few days, just to get caught up. I wish I had your gift of brevity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I want to tell the entire novel and give my opinion on every detail, but I don't want to give anything away. I never feel satisfied with my compromises.

    On reviews -- Maybe if we could quit reading for a while we wouldn't get so behind in reviews! I had 5 reviews left, and then finished two more novels! That isn't making progress...

    ReplyDelete