Search This Blog

Friday, February 04, 2011

Pig Island by Mo Hayder

Pig Island sounded interesting, but in the end, was just weird.  Really weird and a bit horrifying, but not for the reasons one would assume. 

None of the characters were likable.  Every situation was bizarre and/or prurient.  A lot of things simply didn't hang together.




Spoiler:  The biggest problem occurred on pages 116-17 in my copy.  This is when Joe Oakes first confronts the "monster," and it is feeding "from Blake's bloodied remains...."  I had to go back and find the exact location because from this point on the story simply doesn't make sense in any way.  Each new situation from this point seems to forget this major problem.  I couldn't forget it, so how does the main character manage to forget it?

The conclusion was ambivalent, but once again, not in a literary way.  I simply didn't know what the author was trying to say because there were so many things that didn't mesh.

Not my kind of book. 

Fiction.  Horror.  2007.  352 pages.

6 comments:

  1. Jenclair, I've heard good things about Hayder's Jack Caffery series and have meant to read it. This one is a stand-alone I see. "Feeding off remains" is seriously yuck. I can put up with a lot of things, but maybe not...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kay - I don't recommend this one, but I'd love to see some reviews from others who read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eek! I keep hearing such good things about Mo Hayder's books but I tried one and felt lost! I think it was the first one in her series but I felt like I had jumped in half way. Would like to try her again but will remember not to go with Pig Island :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Iliana - Right now, I'm not ready to try another; this one annoyed me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read any Mo hayder yet but always thought she was a bit on the graphic side... Add weird to that and it is not for me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caroline - Strangely, the graphic scenes were kind of impersonal. What bothered me the most is that none of the characters where likable and the all of the stuff that just didn't fit together.

    ReplyDelete