Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Montaro Caine by Sidney Poitier

Montaro Caine from Net Galley/Random House is due out May 7, 2013.  

Description from Amazon:  A baby is born with a coin in her hand. An orphan crafts a mysterious wooden object. The CEO of a large corporation finds himself under extraordinary pressure at work and at home. And on a remote hilltop on a Caribbean island, a medicine man seems to understand the meaning of all of these events and to hold the key to the future.

Sidney Poitier, the respected actor and director now in his eighties, has turned his hand to writing fiction, and because Poitier is an actor whose works I've always admired and appreciated, I had to try this book.  I liked it, and some of the philosophy behind the work seems in keeping with my image of Poitier--intelligence, integrity, wide-ranging interests, and a strong sense of belief in oneself and personal responsibility.

The book is, unsurprisingly, well-written and is an intriguing mix of philosophy and metaphysical science fiction with a decidedly optimistic faith in both science and humanity.   I'm not quite sure of how to describe it, but it held my interest.  I'm now determined to read his autobiographical works.



Fiction/Science Fiction.  May, 2013.  Print Version 320 pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment