Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Lexicon by Max Barry

Lexicon 

From Book Description:   Lexicon is a brilliant thriller that explores language, power, identity, and our capacity to love—whatever the cost.

I'm not sure about the novel actually exploring language--in spite of the book's premise.  Language/Lexicon is only explored in the sense of the power words can yield, but not in any particular detail.  Nor can I truly get into the power of nonsense words that aren't magic.  That distinction is emphasized but not really clarified.  Frrrrkkkiki.  Or whatever.

These nonsense words are so powerful that speaking them can hypnotize the victims, making them totally amenable to the power of suggestion and manipulation, even to the point of suicide.  Just accept it.  Oh, and no ethical element at the Academy or after graduation.  Just follow the rules and carry out your mission.

The background of the Academy is never given.  The graduating students are given the names of poets and then...well, never clearly explained to the reader (or to the graduates as far as I could tell), sent off to help the head of the American branch of poets prepare to rule the world?

I had looked forward to this novel with incorrect expectations, and the first few pages were very promising.  (Another unexplained detail--the eyeball thing).  I read with a kind of detached interest, but ultimately was disappointed.  I know there will be some who adore this book, but it didn't work for me.

High body count.  

NetGalley/Penguin Press, HC

SciFi/Fantasy?  June 18, 2013.  Print version:  400 pages.
  • ISBN-10: 1594205388

1 comment:

  1. I'm on the waiting list for this one at my library. I was so excited about it but maybe I will lower my expectations a bit.

    ReplyDelete