Search This Blog

Thursday, May 08, 2014

Sorrow Bound by David Mark

Sorrow Bound  is a gritty crime novel.  Set in Hull, Yorkshire, this is the third in the series featuring Detective Sergeant Aector McAvroy, a huge man with red hair and a face that people trust. The detective's appearance and personality contrast with the depravity and violence he often faces in his work.  

The characters are vivid and their circumstances are penned with care and certainty, even if, in some cases, I would rather not be privy to those circumstances.   The murders are violent and twisted and the back story is violent and twisted.  

Although the book held my interest, my final thoughts are that the tendency to create more violent and graphic murders for serial killers becomes formulaic.  D.S. McAvoy's personality and appearance set him apart, but strangely, he doesn't come across as clearly as some of the other characters.  

The main plot is tied up by the end of the novel, but a subplot, a very important subplot for D.S. McAvoy, is a cliffhanger.  I haven't read the first two novels in this series, but I don't really feel that this series suits me.  

read in February; review scheduled for May  

NetGalley/Penguin Group/Blue Rider Press

crime/police procedural.  July 3, 2014.  Print version:  352 pages.  

1 comment:

  1. Hmm. I was reading through old reviews I wrote pre-blogging days and in one I mentioned how the violence and grotesque murder scenes in fiction didn't bother me all that much and I had to laugh. My tolerance for that has definitely taken a nose dive over the years. Or maybe it just got to be too much too often. Either way, I don't especially like it anymore.

    I gave up on a couple of favorite series because I got tired of how each book seemed to get more and more twisted and violent. It was like the authors felt they needed to out do themselves with each new book.

    Anyway, it's too bad this one isn't better. You'd think the main character would be the most clear character given he's the main character.

    ReplyDelete