Search This Blog

Saturday, April 18, 2015

The Shattered Court by M.J. Scott

The Shattered Court

Listed as fantasy, but perhaps should have been listed as sexual fantasy.  

The novel has royal witches, portals, and magic, and these elements could have carried an interesting fantasy novel.  Instead the novel reads as if the plot's purpose is to make opportunities for sexual encounters. Most are short, but a couple are waaaayyy too long and detailed, and none were needed at all..unless that is why you are reading the book.

Take out the sex, and the novel feels like a YA fantasy.

I love fantasy, but my preference is for high adventure, so this novel didn't work for me.

Read in March.  Blog post scheduled for April 18.

NetGalley/Penguin Group

Fantasy.  April 28, 2015.  Print length:  336 pages.

4 comments:

  1. I love the cover. It's a shame this didn't turn out to be more of a solid fantasy novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The novel had some good possibilities, but they were much less important to the author than the "romantic" escapades.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I was looking forward to reading this one . . . I hope I do like it, but your review isn't too promising that that will be the case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was disappointed, I expected more from the idea of the royal witches. Oh, well, the reviews over at Goodreads are very positive.

      Delete