Search This Blog

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Still Waters by Viveca Sten

Still Waters  (Sandhamn Murders Book 1) by Viveca Sten is a new series for me.  The novel is mostly set on the small island of Sandham in the Swedish archipelago and conveys a vivid sense of the island community.

Police detective Thomas Andreasson is sent to Sandhamn when a body is discovered tangled in a fishing net.  The body of Krister Berggren has been in the water for months, and it is uncertain whether or not the death was an accident.  Thomas has a few questions, but can find no definite evidence of foul play.

When Krister's cousin also turns up dead on Sandhamn, however, the coincidence is too great to ignore.  

Thomas and his childhood friend Nora Linde attempt to unravel the circumstances and uncover the person responsible.  

The first 5 books in this series have been made into a television series, The Sandhamn Murders.  I would love to watch it because the island is unbelievably believable.

NetGalley/Amazon Publishing

Mystery/Police Procedural.  Oct. 1, 2015.  Print length:  387 pages.


14 comments:

  1. Oh, this one looks really good! I'm going to be on the lookout for it and also the TV series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an interesting mystery, and I think the characters probably grow in the following installments. The TV series really interests me because I want to "see" more of the island!

      Delete
  2. Looks like a great series to follow! I have not heard of the author so thanks for the review, Jenclair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The author was new to me as well, but I like Scandinavian mysteries and decided to give it a try. The conclusion bothered me a bit, but overall, I enjoyed it.

      Delete
  3. This one sounds good, and I enjoy the ocasional Nordic Noir book. I will have to also look for it on TV to see where it is playing, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it on IMDb, but so many commercials! Also, just from the little I watched there are several changes, which is to be expected I guess.

      Delete
  4. It's definitely the setting that makes me want to read this one. I enjoy Scandinavian mysteries, so it's nice to have a new author to try. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The setting does sound beautiful! I haven't heard of the show or the series, but they both sound like they are worth checking out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched a little of the first episode on IMDb, but it was so cut up with commercials. They also changed up several things at the very beginning. Still looking at the island of Sandhamn is a pleasure.

      Delete
  6. Oh I love police procedural shows so I'm going to have to look for this one. Wouldn't mind reading it too but more than likely I'd get to the show before the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was fascinated by the setting, especially after looking up some pictures of Sandham. So beautiful!

      Delete
  7. Hi Jenclair,
    Thank you for those kind words about my universe!
    You have no idea how happy it made me that you liked my book!
    Warm regards from Sweden!
    Viveca Sten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I enjoyed the novel and loved the setting!

      Delete