Search This Blog

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Some Studio Work and Reviews

I've been spending a lot of time in the studio playing with my Eccentrics.  More La Calavera Catrinas, gourds in progress, a sock doll and a witch in progress.  A burst of creative energy that has kept me occupied for hours on end.  I'm covered in dried clay, paint, and fabric threads most of the time now.
one of the La Calavera Catrinas I've been making


It is still warm here.  Today's high is predicted to be 96, but tomorrow!  Tomorrow will be in the 80's--Yea!  I've been thinking about global warming/climate change a lot, lately.  The effects on future generations are frightening, but there is still money to be made on some of the destructive practices to which we've become so accustomed.  I love the way some small countries, no larger than one of our states, have been able to implement changes.  It must be so much easier to make those changes on a smaller scale.  Fewer politicians with fewer agendas and fewer lobbyists make for more direct action.  I mean, 96 degrees in the middle of October is just wrong.  

When I feel like it, I try to catch up on reviews.  They are never-ending.

Briefly, I found this really slow, although the book was quite short.  Didn't care for the protagonist much--he did a lot of whining about the past.  A little would have set the stage adequately, but too much and it felt like filler.  Especially annoying - the protagonist finds out things, tells you he has found out, but doesn't tell you what he found out.  OK once, but not 2 0r 3 times.

NetGalley/Endeavor Press

Historic mystery.  Oct. 9, 2015.  Print length:  196 pages.


 There were some interesting parts of this "spy" novel, and I kind of liked the characters, but it didn't seem logical or believable.  I just discovered that it was originally published in 1987, which answered a couple of questions.

What bothered me even more than the strange premise (I'm still not sure I ever understood how Patrick Gillyard became a target), were the sentences and paragraphs that felt like non sequiturs.  I'd go back and reread, then decide it was a bit like not getting a joke.  You just accept it and read on.

And yet, I think the characters had promise , but the plot was so convoluted.  It was the first in a long series, and I would give it another try.

NetGalley/Endeavor Press

Spy/Mystery.  1987; Oct. 9, 2015.  Print length:  247 pages.

This one started out with an interesting premise.  Detective Harriet Marten's has been poisoned while sun bathing by a pool.  Someone slipped wolfsbane (nearly always fatal) into her drink as she lay dozing.  Her husband returns and recognizes the symptoms because he has been reading an Agatha Christie novel in which "twisted wolfsbane" was the murder weapon.

The first section has poor Harriet hospitalized having undergone numerous procedures.  The poison has had an effect on her memory and thinking processes, and she struggles to understand and to communicate.  That portion was interesting, but Harriet disregards advice to remain in the hospital and pays no attention when informed that it will take months for her to fully recover.  For me, the book began to be a little repetitious as Harriet repeated things and exerted effort to think clearly while neglecting common sense.

The poisoner has no specific target and as he or she continues to murder almost randomly by slipping poison into untended drinks, Harriet wants/needs to be part of the investigation.

NetGalley/Endeavor Press

Detective fiction/Mystery.  2005; 2015.  Print length:  272 pages.



14 comments:

  1. Our weather has been getting quite hot here, not surprising since we get summer all the time but it's October so it's a bit weird; plus the haze condition is making it all the much hotter. Hopefully there's some rain!

    The La Calavera Catrina you've shared looks lovely! I love her dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did reach 96 yesterday, but today's high is supposed to be 84--what a difference. At least here, we don't have a problem with haze!

      The underskirt for Catrina's dress came from a witch hat that was in sad shape, so I cut it up and it made all the difference to the outfit. :) Thanks for the kind words, Melody!

      Delete
  2. That La Calavera Catrina is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephanie! I've enjoyed making these characters!

      Delete
  3. Oh jenclair! La Calavera Catrina is amazing!

    Your October weather is messed up too? We were 84 degrees last weekend. Minnesota in the middle of October! We are finally expecting a frost tonight, two weeks later than when it should be but the cold has not arrived to stay yet as we are forecast to have a couple 70 degree days early next week. The damage over the years from things like this happening is already being seen in forests here which need cold weather and in the animal populations. It breaks me heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephanie! I made one for each of my daughters and need to get the second one in the mail.

      You are right about the consistent damage, year after year, of climate change that we don't even realize until it becomes seriously problematic. It's frightening.

      Delete
  4. I love your La Calavera Catrinas - stunning.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn! I've had great fun with these ladies!

      Delete
  5. Jenclair your Catrina is beautiful! I love all the detail - she even has a necklace. Wonderful work. Can't wait to see more of your creations.

    I am with you on climate change. We broke a record last week I think. It was almost 100! Insane. I'm taking note of some of these mysteries I kind of like the sound of the last one even if it had some flaws.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iliana! There are more Halloween Eccentrics on my other blog; I've been up to my ears in orange and black. :)

      Strange weather, for sure. I thought 96 was bad, but closing in on 100 is awful!

      Delete
  6. What a lovely creation! She looks both creepy and beautiful, a great combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Delia! La Calavera Catrinas and sugar skulls are symbols of the the Mexican Day of the Dead celebrations, and I've had fun making some characters in that spirit. :)

      Delete
  7. I will have to share the photo of your La Calavera Catrinas with a friend. She loves that kind of stuff. She really is beautiful.

    It's been nice to see our temperatures finally getting lower. It's been record hot in recent weeks. I worry about the future generations too as well as the earth.

    I've missed visiting your blog, and I apologize for so many comments at once.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Catrinas have been a lot of fun to create--from their sugar skulls to their outfits! I've made 4 very different ones this year, but I know I'll be making more next year. :)

    ReplyDelete