Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

That Darkness and The Emperor's Railroad

That Darkness by Lisa Black is a tale of forensics and vigilante justice.  I liked this description by Chandra Claypool, "Dexter meets Bones."

A vigilante cop who murders those who deserve it.  You won't find that part questionable.  

In spite of the forensic detail, the book has a kind of surface feel.  I couldn't get involved with either of the main characters, and although I certainly don't advocate vigilante justice, it is hard to feel any sympathy for the victims.  Since the victims are so despicable, the idea of a moral question is lessened.   

Evidently the first in a new series featuring Maggie Gardiner and Jack Renner.  I probably won't follow up on this one.

NetGalley/Kensington Books
Mystery/Thriller.  April 26, 2016.  Print version:  336 pages.


The Emperor's Railroad is a post-apocalyptic, dystopian novella.  

A zombie plague, knights and angels (?), a mechanical beast, protected compounds....  

The story is told in retrospect by Abney, who was a twelve-year-old boy fleeing with his mother from a town overrun by zombies at the time of the story.  Now, Abney is an old man, but his stories still carry weight.

Abney relates how Quinn, a wandering knight, aids Abney and his mother on their journey to a place of safety.  There are some interesting elements to the world that Haley has built, and he obviously has a larger picture in his mind; he has, however, focused on this one little episode, this journey in which Quinn accompanies Abney and his mother.

I'm not a great fan of novellas, although this one has the feeling of being part of a more overarching storyline that would reveal more about the situation of this post-apocalyptic world.  

NetGalley/Tor/Forge

SciFi/Fantasy/Dystopian.  April 19, 2016.  Print length:  176 pages.

10 comments:

  1. That Darkness sounds like it has a great premise and characterisation as well but a pity about that disconnection feeling. To me it's part of the factor which determines my liking for a book.

    I'm not a great fan of novellas too so I'll probably give The Emperor's Railroad a miss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That need to feel a connection to characters is huge, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. I am sure The Emperor's Railroad will turn out to be a teaser for a new series or something...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be right. Obviously, Abney would not be a part of it, but the wandering Quinn has more to his story.

      Delete
  3. I'm not a fan of vigilante justice either: after all, the wrong thing done for the right reason, is still the wrong thing. But I might give the novella a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even feel that the moral question was of great consequence since the bad guys were so awful.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like I am taking the opposite stance. I might try That Darkness but I'll pass on another post-apocalyptic story. I have read something by Lisa Black before. I'll have to check my back lists. Since nothing stands out maybe I should bypass that too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people who reviewed it on Goodreads liked That Darkness, it wasn't a book that really reached me in any way. I thought I'd read something else by Black, but I couldn't find a record of having done so.

      Delete
  5. Too bad the Lisa Black wasn't better. I do have that one on my stack to read too and I'll give it a shot and see what I think. Now the novella sounds out there but I like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) The Darkness wasn't a good fit for me, but you may like it!

      Delete