Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

R.I.P Challenge

It is time for Carl's annual R.I.P. Challenge, and I'm going to be creating a list of possible books to read.

One of the scariest books I ever read was Peter Straub's Ghost Story.  That was decades ago, and I'm considering a reread, but don't want to be disappointed.

In the first few R.I.P. challenges, I reread several books by Wilkie Collins and was delighted to find that I loved The Woman in White as much, if not more, than the first time.  I enjoyed The Moonstone, but love The Woman in White.

One year for the challenge, I read Sax Rohmer's The Insidious Dr. Fu Manchu--and a few others by Rohmer.  These stories are a hoot!

For the 2007 challenge, I read Renfield: Slave of Dracula by Barbara Hambly.  Wow--was it worth it!  The original Dracula by Stoker and many pastiches have always called to me.    Hambly's James Asher series is also very good if you like vampires.

In 2011, I made a list of some of the books I'd since 2006 for Carl's challenge, and I might want to reread one or two.  I should make a list of the books I've read since 2011.

The first few years of the challenges, I tried to read or reread classics in the genre, as well as more contemporary works like The Thirteenth Tale.  I really like a Gothic element to my R.I.P. reads.  :)

My thanks to Carl for the encouragement to read the spooky, ghostly, eerie, and mysterious!
And once again, a wonderful image for the challenge.  This one is by Abigail Larson.

And so it begins...

10 comments:

  1. I'm excited to see what everyone will be reading for R.I.P. this year. I hope you read some good books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping for some good ones and will be checking everyone else's lists!

      Delete
  2. I remember reading GHOST STORY, vaguely. Maybe I should visit it again. Or some Stephen King. My post will be up on Friday. Look forward to some spooky, Gothic reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember nothing about it really, except that at the time I found it frightening! Probably isn't even in print any longer, but I may check AbeBooks.

      Delete
  3. There are a bunch from my old lists I still haven't read. I really need to get on that. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have fun and can't wait to hear your thoughts on the books you'll be reading for this challenge.

    And I received your letter two days ago! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still pondering what to read. Maybe some YA books this year....
      There should be a postcard winging its way to you as well, Melody. :)

      Delete
  5. Oh I love the flashback to some of your previous reads! I already started one of my RIP reads and I'm looking forward to more. I do love this challenge! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun challenge! I really need to get to the library and find me some good R.I.P books. :)

      Delete