Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Snail Mail and Sei Shonagon


I've been catching up on correspondence this month.  
After failing to reply in a time manner for over a month,
I had quite a few responses to write.

Had fun finally using some of the tea bags I painted last year.

Below: postcards to the grands on top,
The one in the middle has one of my embroidered leaves.  

click to enlarge

Still reading The Pillow Book of Sei Shonagon, but it, too, has suffered some neglect.  This morning, I read the following entry:

114.  It is Delightful When There Has Been a Thin Fall of Snow
    It is delightful when there has been a thin fall of snow; or again when it has piled up very high and in the evening we sit round a brazier at the edge of the veranda with a few congenial friends, chatting till darkness falls  There is no need for the lamp, since the snow itself reflects a clear light.  Raking the ashes in the brazier with a pair of fire-tongs, we discuss all sorts of moving and amusing things.
(then Shonagon speaks of an unannounced visitor and says that one of the ladies quotes the poem about the man who came today, and they all laughed and stayed up 'til dawn talking. 

 In the end notes, I found the poem by Taira no Kanemori:
Here in my mountain home
The snow is deep
And the paths are buried [in white].
Truly would he move my heart--
The man who came today.
It was a timely entry for me to read this morning, and I thought about my friends Patti and Dave who are shoveling snow in Colorado and my friend Penny, who is staying inside and admiring the snow in North Carolina.

12 comments:

  1. Nice! I rejoined Postcrossing this year, so I am also trying to get back into sending letters, etc. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love both the sending and the receiving! So nice to find a letter in the mail box!

      Delete
  2. That is beautiful correspondence! I bet even your mail carrier likes to see it :)
    I've sent one letter out this year already. Yay. Need to do more of that this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iliana! Making the envelopes and postcards is a lot of fun, but I like writing the letters, too. Ooh, all that washi tape you have could make some great envelope decoration!

      Delete
  3. Your snail mail is always so amazing! Love the artistic touches. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always nice to have something to put in the mailbox besides bills. :) Even better, when something arrives for me! Thanks, Lark!

      Delete
  4. Always love to see your artworks, Jenclair. Can't wait for your letter to arrive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melody--your letter should be arriving soon. Sorry it has taken so long!

      Delete
  5. What a talented postal artist you are!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to see you back on your correspondence, a feast for the eyes. I was so glad I wasn't in Colorado with Patty and Dave. They are coming for Mardi Gras this year--just sayin'-- you should come to our house for Mardi Gras party and Highland parade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teresa! Colorado did get some snow! And here we are having spring. Again. Hard to imagine the cold some of the country has dealt with. I'm glad Patty and Dave will be able to attend your annual Mardi Gras party again this year!

      Delete