Search This Blog

Monday, March 20, 2017

I See You by Clare Mackintosh

I See You by Clare Macintosh.

I read Mackintosh's I Let You Go in April of last year and really liked it,  so I eagerly took the opportunity to read another book by Mackintosh.

Zoe Walker has a routine, the kind many people who work develop and follow almost without thought.  Zoe's daily commute on the underground is a part of  her routine. 

Reading the classifieds one evening on her way home, Zoe is shocked to see a picture of herself, a phone number, and a link to a website.  The photo is not clear, and when she gets home, Zoe's partner and children aren't positive that the photo is actually of Zoe.

The website listed--findtheone.com--proves to be unavailable.  A prank?  Zoe begins to check the classifieds daily for other listings with a woman's photograph, phone number, and the  findtheone.com website.  A different woman is listed each day.  And one of those women is murdered.  Identifying the women whose photographs appear daily becomes imperative.

At first only Kelly Swift, a British Transport officer, takes Zoe seriously, but after the connection to the murdered woman, the police are all in and crack the code for the website where detailed information about the women in the pictures--age, height, hair color, clothing details, and current information and times about their commutes--is for sale. 

Who is selling  the information?  Who is buying it?  Will Zoe be next?

Although I was less impressed with this book than I was with  I Let You Go, it was a suspenseful journey.

Read in Oct.;  blog review scheduled for March 20, 2017.

NetGalley/Berkley Publ.

Crime/Police Procedural.  April 4, 2017.  Print length:  384 pages.

6 comments:

  1. I agree this wasn't as stellar as I Let You Go but still a good read. On a side note, I feel routine can be dangerous if one decides to stalk a person but then it's hard to avoid especially if we've calculated the time/distance to our convenience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) It was suspenseful, and the idea of the ways technology can be used for good or ill is always interesting. Thank goodness there are not as many demented individuals in life as there are in books. That's right isn't it???

      Delete
  2. It's scary to think how easily someone could actually do something like this. I go back and forth about whether I should be paranoid online or not. I do want to give this one a try. It sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hacking CCTV cameras on the underground to target women and their daily routines is pretty scary! The UK has more CCTV cameras than we do, but privacy is at a premium now.

      Delete
  3. It's kind of a creepy premise, finding yourself targeted like that, and so anonymously. Mackintosh sounds like an author I need to read. But it sounds like I should read I Let You Go first. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) It is creepy. Imagine finding your photo in the classifieds, along with the number of a website!

      Delete