Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 01, 2017

Shattered by Allison Brennan

Shattered by Allison Brennan.  In spite of the fact that this book unites multiple characters from two different series (which made a lot to absorb, since I've not read either series before), I found myself engrossed with the plot.

Maxine Revere, an investigative reporter (with her own series), reluctantly becomes intrigued when an old friend requests her help.  His wife has been charged with the murder of their young son, and he wants Max to help prove her innocence.  He has information that connects three cold cases with remarkably similar elements.  If the same person is responsible for the cold cases that match the murder of his son, then his wife will be exonerated.

Max's attention with the first of the cold cases requires her to accept a partnership with Lucy Kincaid, a rookie FBI agent and the aunt of the first murdered child.  (Brennan's Lucy Kincaid also has a lengthy series.)  Both women are sincere in their search for answers, but trust between a reporter and an FBI agent is difficult.

While I didn't find the plot especially believable for a number of reasons and there were constant references to past adventures from the two separate series, I nevertheless was quickly immersed in the story.  

NetGalley/St. Martin's Press

Mystery.  Crime.  August 22, 2017.  Print length:  368 pages.  

2 comments:

  1. The multiple characters from two different series would make it hard for me to absorb, since I haven't read anything by this author but the plot sounds interesting, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For fans who have read all of her books, I'm sure it presents no problem, but I had no idea about the backgrounds of so many characters--so I probably missed a layer of content that others were aware of.

    ReplyDelete