Search This Blog

Thursday, December 21, 2017

Season of Blood by Jeri Westerson

Season of Blood takes the reader on another adventure with Crispin Guest as he investigates murdered monks and stolen relics.  I've enjoyed several of these Crispin Guest novels and enjoy the setting during Richard II's reign. Crispin is a disgraced knight who has earned a reputation as an investigator and finder of lost objects.  He has become known as the Tracker.

A beautiful and mysterious woman sets this mystery in motion.  She approaches Crispin, asking for his aid in finding her niece.  Things are not what they seem, however, and when a monk falls into his door with Crispin's old rival Simon Wynchecombe's dagger in his back and a blood relic in his hand, events take a perilous direction.

Crispin has a skeptical approach to relics, but this one seems unlike the usual fakes.  Religious institutions were often competitive about relics because relics were a source of pilgrims and income; blood relics containing the blood of Christ were particularly desirable.


Crispin's attempts to return the relic are thwarted when the relic keeps returning to him.  



Read in September; review scheduled for Dec. 21.

Goodreads/Severn House

Historical Mystery.  Jan. 1, 2017.  Print length:  224 pages.

4 comments:

  1. An intriguing read with the plot and the setting. Not my usual reads but your review has definitely piqued my curiosity. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this series and this one was another fun read. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm not usually drawn to books with a medieval setting, but this mystery sounds good enough to make me change my mind and give it a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first time I've heard Medieval noir - I love it! I like historical although typically not this far back in time but Crispin sounds like an interesting character.

    ReplyDelete