Search This Blog

Monday, February 05, 2018

Everything Is Lies by Helen Callaghan


Two time periods and a twisty plot keeps Helen Callaghan's Everything Is Lies moving back and forth as a daughter discovers her mother's memoir after Nina MacKenzie's  apparent suicide.

After a call from her mother insisting she come home, Sophia reluctantly returns home the next day to find her father in serious condition and her mother dead.  The police assume that Nina attempted to kill her husband and then committed suicide, but Sophia does not believe it possible that her mother could have harmed Sophia's father or killed herself.

Upon learning that Nina had finally written her memoir, and that the manuscript is missing, Sophia is determined to find and read it.

When she locates her mother's notebooks, she is immersed in a story of Nina's youth and association with a charismatic personality and a house called Morningstar.   

Dark and full of secrets that Sophia could never have imagined about the parents she thought she knew, and yet...there is a final reckoning that is almost too much for Sophia to accept.

Read in November; blog review scheduled for Feb. 5, 2018.

NetGalley/Penguin UK

Mystery/Suspense.  February 22, 2018.  

6 comments:

  1. Ah yes, sounds like a good one. Will check it out. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't exactly say that I liked it, but it was definitely a twisty tale!

      Delete
  2. I really enjoy stories that move back and forth in time to uncover secrets but sometimes I need to read these in print and not on my Kindle. I usually find that it may take me a while to get into the story so it's easier for me to go back and forth in a print book. But another one to add to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one of those stories where you watch people make mistakes and there is nothing you can do to stop them.

      Delete
  3. Sounds intriguing. Will keep a lookout for this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend to like stories that evolve around the reading of uncovering the past through journals or letters. This sounds interesting. I'm sorry it wasn't better for you, Jenclair.

    ReplyDelete